Type to search

March 11, 2014

EXCLUSIVE Instability in Latin America and abroad
Region could feel the effects of Ukranian crisis, says expert

Ukraine's unrest has has captured global headlines in the past weeks. While it may seem far from Latin America, it could have effects on the region's economies. "The Ukranian crisis certainly has the potential to create a tremendous impact in emerging markets and in Brazil," said Christopher Garman, director of Washington-based political risk consultancy firm Eurasia, LBC reports.

Petrobras raises $8.5 billion in this year's biggest bond sale
Brazil's state oil firm will use sale to fund $221 million of investment needs through 2019

Brazil's state oil firm Petrobras raised $8.5 billion in its biggest bond sale of 2014. The capital will go towards funding investment projects worth $221 million over the next five years. Petrobras has the largest debt among oil companies globally, currently standing at $114 billion, and is currently seeking to develop the biggest offshore oil find in the continent in more than three decades, Bloomberg reports.

El Salvador vote in deadlock
Electoral tribunal unable to determine clear winner

With 99.9 percent of 3 million votes counted from Sunday's run-off elections, El Salvador's current Vice President Salvador Sánchez Ceren (left), of the ruling FMLN party, had 50.1 percent of the vote. But although his opponent Norman Quijano, of the ARENA party, had the remaining 49.9 percent, the country's electoral authority said the count was still continuing after the board had found 'inconsistencies' in 14 precincts, Bloomberg reports.

Brazil's mobile market to remain competitive, says watchdog
Anatel to scrutinize any mergers and approve those based on strong economic reasons

Brazil's mobile market will continue to have four major independent carriers over the next four years, which is positive as it fosters competition, the country's telecoms regulator, Anatel, President Joao Rezende said. Anatel will scrutinize any mergers and approve only those based on solid economic reasons, Rezende said, Reuters reports.

Biden says Venezuela is 'concocting' bogus stories about U.S.
Comments drew angry rebuke from Nicolás Maduro

U.S. Vice President Joe Biden's remarks that the situation in Venezuela was 'alarming,' and that its government was concocting false and outlandish conspiracy theories about the U.S. drew an angry rebuke from the South American country's President Nicolás Maduro. "We reject their aggression," Maduro said. "They were defeated in the OAS and now they want revenge," The Houston Chronicle reports.


Argentina, Spain and Portugal to sign nanotechnology accord Fox News Latino

Peru's public investment up 16 percent in March Andina

Venezuela delays dollar supply boost amid new protests Bloomberg

Mexico, U.S. and Guatemala to create border security coalition Fox News Latino

What should investors know about Venezuela political risk and violence Forbes 

To read this post, you must purchase a Latin Trade Business Intelligence Subscription.

Next Up

Scroll to top of page
Begin Zoho Tracking Code for Analytics